Sunday, May 8, 2016

2014 Germany Trip - Cologne Messe/Deutz Station (Köln Messe/Deutz)

Location: Cologne, Germany

Itinerary and full experience of my visit to Germany can be accessed through the link below:


My last post on my Cologne's trip is on Cologne Main Station's cousin across the river - Cologne Messe/Deutz Station. It was not as impressive as the steel counterpart but I still took a liking to it due to its dome structure and stone texture.

In fact Cologne Messe/Deutz Station is just as important as the main station as it relieves traffic from the main station. Since the main station is located across the river, some trains prefer not to stop in the main station so that they need not change direction to cross the river, and then back out again to continue on their original route.

My interest in this station was caught when I was high up in KölnTriangle, seeing its distinctive dome top and wondering how the station would look like. Despite a stone exterior that made it seemed ancient, its interior is quite modern. The full station contains multiple levels, allowing access to long distance train services and regional services as well as access to tram lines. I had not called my stop in this station before so my experience with the station was limited to my wandering its hall under the dome.

Cologne Messe/Deutz station

A separate view

Is that a steering wheel?

Indeed it is! This monument is erected to commemorate Deutz as the place where Nicolaus Otto and Eugen Langen set up their office. And why are they important? It is because their office created the Otto engine, the precursor to modern internal combustion engine, making this the birthplace of modern engine.

This is how it looks under the dome.

Since this is mainly a curious exploration on my part, I do not believe it to be high on anyone's list of attraction so I will limit my post on this station. If a hipster traveler is looking for a selfie in Cologne that is different from the rest of his friends, then this could be a nice choice although his friends may not even know that this is from Cologne.








Environment:         Another important transport hub in one of the largest city in Germany
Suitable for:            Transport lovers
Visit worthiness:       5/10 
Historical value:        3.0/5.0 
Architectural value:  3.0/5.0
Photographic value: 2.0/5.0
Landmark value:       2.0/5.0

Entrance Fee:                  free
Opening Hours:             always accessible
Best Moment to Visit: Anytime
Length of Visit:              <1 hour

Website:                   -

Contact:                    -
E-mail:                      -
Address:                   -




No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...